There’s no need to forego favorite family recipes, even if following a diet. With the right ingredient substitutions, like House Foods Tofu, beloved holiday meals will make the transition flawlessly. House Foods Tofu is highly versatile, easy to cook with, and is ideal for many genres of food. High in protein and nutrient-packed, it’s a health conscious food choice to replace meats, mayonnaise, or cream cheese. Instead of the classically fattening macaroni and cheese side, replace it with House Foods Tofu Mac’n’Cheese. With only 7 grams of fat and 12 grams of protein, it’s an easy swap that the whole family will enjoy!
Tofu Mac ‘n’ Cheese
½ package of House Foods Premium Tofu Firm or Organic Firm, strained
1 box elbow macaroni
3 tablespoons of onions
½ cup Greek yogurt
½ teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon mustard
1 teaspoon butter
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
pepper to taste
1. Cook and strain macaroni noodles and set aside.
2. Sauté onions in pan until golden brown.
3. Combine all ingredients in blender and puree until smooth.
4. Mix cheese sauce and macaroni noodles in a large pot over low heat until all noodles are coated with sauce and heated thoroughly. Serve warm.
Optional: Serve with parmesan cheese for extra flavor.
Want something uncommon for the family table? Try the Soba Noodle Salad with Tofu, a vibrant and healthy vegan recipe with Asian flavors that complement tofu. House Foods Tofu is perfect to incorporate into a diet to feel satisfied and reap the benefits of soy.
Soba Noodle Salad with Tofu
1 House Foods Premium Tofu or Organic Tofu, Extra Firm, patted dry and cut into ½ inch strips
8 oz. soba noodles, uncooked
1 medium cucumber, cut into 1/8-inch-thick julienne strips
1 medium bell peppers, julienned
1/3 cup sushi rice vinegar
¼ cup lime juice
2 ½ tbsp. sesame oil
2 tbsp. soy sauce
3 tsp. sugar
2 tbsp. ginger, minced
2 tbsp. scallions, minced
2 tbsp. roasted sesame seeds
1. Cook noodles in a large pot following package directions
2. Drain noodles and rinse well under cold water. Set aside and refrigerate.
3. Spray oil on a non-stick pan and grill tofu. Set aside and refrigerate.
4. Whisk all ingredients for dressing.
5. Toss together noodles, cucumber, and red bell pepper.
6. Add tofu strips and mix well.